1. A: What (you, do) were you doing when the accident occurred?
B: I (try) was trying to change a light bulb that had burnt out.
2. After I (find) found the wallet full of money, I (go, immediately) immediately went to the police and (turn) turned it in.
3. The doctor (say) said that Tom (be) was too sick to go to work and that he (need) needed to stay at home for a couple of days.
4. Sebastian (arrive) arrived at Susan’s house a little before 9:00 PM, but she (be, not) was not there. She (study, at the library) was studying at the library for her final examination in French.
5. Sandy is in the living room watching television. At this time yesterday, she (watch, also) was also watching television. That’s all she ever does!
6. A: I (call) called you last night after dinner, but you (be, not) were not there. Where were you?
B: I (work) was working out at the fitness center.
7. When I (walk) walked into the busy office, the secretary (talk) was talking on the phone with a customer, several clerks (work, busily) were busily working at their desks, and two managers (discuss, quietly) were quietly discussing methods to improve customer service.
8. I (watch) was watching a mystery movie on TV when the electricity went out. Now I am never going to find out how the movie ends.
9. Sharon (be) was in the room when John told me what happened, but she didn’t hear anything because she (listen, not) was not listening.
10. It’s strange that you (call) called because I (think, just) was just thinking about you.
11. The Titanic (cross) was crossing the Atlantic when it (strike) struck an iceberg.
12. When I entered the bazaar, a couple of merchants (bargain, busily) were busily bargaining and (try) trying to sell their goods to naive tourists who (hunt) were hunting for souvenirs. Some young boys (lead) were leading their donkeys through the narrow streets on their way home. A couple of men (argue) were arguing over the price of a leather belt. I (walk) walked over to a man who (sell) was selling fruit and (buy) bought a banana.
13. The firemen (rescue) rescued the old woman who (be) was trapped on the third floor of the burning building.
14. She was so annoying! She (leave, always) always leaves her dirty dishes in the sink. I think she (expect, actually) actually expected me to do them for her.
15. Samantha (live) was living in Berlin for more than two years. In fact, she (live) was living there when the Berlin Wall came down.